Tennessee Valley Healthcare System
Nutrition and Food Service
The Nutrition and Food Service maintains a progressive program for both preventive care and for medical nutrition therapy (MNT). Administrative nutrition staff, registered dietitians, and dietetic technicians are dedicated to providing quality nutrition care, food service, and education to our veterans, staff, and students. We operate in various settings - during hospitalization, and in the outpatient clinic setting.
Outpatient Nutrition and Food Service takes pride in the meals we serve. Our goal is to serve you healthy, quality and satisfying meals. Good nutrition is key to good health. Nutrition and Food Service will provide veterans a meal, upon receipt of a meal ticket. Modified diets are available upon request to meet your health needs. Based on our guidelines, we serve meals with less sugar, salt and fat.
Outpatient meals and other meals (upon receipt of meal ticket) are available at the following times —
- Nashville Main Kitchen
- Breakfast: 6:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
- Lunch: 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Dinner: 4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Alvin C. York Dining
- Breakfast: 6:45 a.m. - 7:30 a.m.
- Lunch: 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- Dinner: 4:45 p.m. - 6:15 p.m.
For questions, concerns, or suggestions about your meal or nutrition related services at the Nashville Campus or Alvin C. York Campus, please all our offices at the numbers below —
- Nashville: (615) 873-6952 or (615) 873-6996
- Alvin C. York: (615) 225-2510
Nutrition and Food Service values your input. It is our pleasure to serve you.
Our staff of registered dietitians and dietetic technicians works cooperatively with other healthcare professionals to promote the nutritional well being of the patients, assessing patients admitted to the hospital with specific nutritional concerns, and providing nutrition education and counseling to individuals requiring specific diets.
Outpatient Diet Counseling
We provide nutrition counseling to patients concerned with the special nutrition needs related to their illnesses. Services include, one-on-one nutrition counseling with a registered dietitian which includes, but is not limited to general, diabetic, cardiac, and cancer education.
- Individual Appointments:
- Primary Care Clinic Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Cardiac Nutrition Class Wednesday 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Heart Health Class Tuesday 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Diabetes Class Thursday 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m
- Individual Appointments:
- Preventative Health Clinic Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Diabetes Interdisciplinary Class Series: 3 consecutive Thursdays/ month from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Interdisciplinary Group Classes
- Cardiac Nutrition Class
- Every Wednesday 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Alvin C. York Campus
- Diabetes Interdisciplinary Class
- Every other Monday & Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Community Outpatient Clinic
- Clarksville OPC
- Diabetic Group - Thursday & Friday - 10:00 a.m. & 1:00 p.m.
- Hyperlipidemia Group - Thursday & Friday - 11:00 a.m. & 2:00 p.m.
- Chattanooga OPC
- Heart health Class Friday 9 to 10 am ( EST) (offered monthly)
- Diabetes Class Wednesday 9 to 10 am (EST) (offered three times per month)
- Tennessee Valley Healthcare System
Hours of Operation
6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Nashville)
6:45 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. (Alvin C. York)