Tennessee Valley Healthcare System
This is Our Commitment
- To place at the center of our concern the dignity and worth of the individual.
- To incorporate into practice an understanding of the veteran within his or her family and socio- cultural environment.
- To value and respect the distinctive role and expertise of each member of the multidisciplinary team.
- To identify gaps in services/resources and to advocate for systems changes that is responsive to veterans changing needs.
- To create within the discipline a learning environment that fosters new knowledge, enhances clinical social work practice and promotes administrative excellence.
- To be ethical in fulfilling our responsibilities.
- To be conscientious stewards of institutional and community resources essential to our mission
About Social Work Services
Social Work Services at the Tennessee Valley Health System is an integral part of health care. We help veterans and their families with problems associated with the stress of an illness.
Social workers help veterans find resources to meet their needs within the VA system and in their community such as:
- home health services
- community living
Social Work Services offer counseling:
- to veterans with drug, alcohol, and emotional problems
- to help veterans and their families understand and adjust to an illness or disability
- to veterans and family members who want to prepare advance directives and durable powers of attorney for health care
- to help veterans and their families cope with terminal illness
- to family members about legal issues such as commitment and guardianship
Counseling is conducted through:
- one-on-one discussions
- family conferences
- group classes
- therapeutic and support groups
- Psychosocial assessment, treatment planning and intervention
- Individual, marital, family and group counseling
- Information and referral services
- Crisis intervention
- Pre-admission planning
- Care coordination for psychosocial needs
- Case management services
- Discharge planning and discharge coordination
- Community outreach
- Post-discharge and aftercare planning and follow-up
- Community liaison and resource development
- Interdisciplinary staff education
- Patient/family education
- Assistance in resolving financial problems
- Caregiver support services
- Self-help and support groups
- End-of-life planning and assistance with completion of advance directives
We Invite You to Learn More
- Tennessee Valley Healthcare System
Hours of Operation
- M-F, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.